Sunday, May 29, 2016

Another Galaxy Saved

So, another game beaten.  Rogue Galaxy was a actually quite a fun ride from start to finish, and has the distinction of having of the more pleasant endgame sequences I've seen.  I've noted before that I already have a bizarre reluctance to get through a game's final dungeon and beat the end bosses, but somehow, this one was different. 


Despite that last dungeon being the same Mordor ripoff that video games traditionally had since at least Super Mario Brothers, and boring in and of itself with cut-and-paste layouts, the same-but-more mooks that every RPG seems to have, it was kinda fun.  I can point to several more imaginative and unique dungeons I've been through that felt more like chores than a game's payoff (I'm looking at you, Tales of the Abyss).  The final boss battles were actually pretty damn fun, too.  You start off kinda lame with using one of the game's gimmick guns, but then Jenova 2.0 pupates (I'm not joking) and all hell breaks loose.  You wind up tearing you way through a freaky series of duel bosses on a giant space battleship (a literal ironclad in space) that has been assimilated by the evil space mojo, along with the crew and the local Shinra wannabes. 


I've been given to understand that some people think it was both contrived and unduly tedious.  Those people shouldn't play RPGs.  I grant that it seemed a bit out of nowhere, but watching Valkog and his idiots get theirs without padding the game with a crappy second final dungeon works out for the best. 


All in all, the game worked out quite well, and I'm happy to have popped that sucker into my beat-up PS2 and allowed the Harvest to take a whack at it.  I still haven't chosen the next victim for my dork side to corrupt and loot, but we shall see.  And if nothing else, I now can say I played a game with a badass space Womble, a literal dog soldier, and the madness that is Jupis Tooki McGanel.


The Harvest Has Triumphed!

No comments:

Post a Comment