Sunday, July 24, 2016

ULTRA COMBO

So.  I beat Kingdom Hearts Final Mix last night...


...And beat Atelier Iris:  Eternal Mana a little more than 12 hours later.  I'mma go take a nap now.


You still here?  Okay.


Honestly, I didn't plan on this.  I just randomly decided to plug Iris into the PS2 and see what happened.  I though I was stuck for good; either I had encountered a nasty glitch or stumbled upon the bonus dungeon by mistake (or both, the extra dungeon is supposed to be inaccessible until you have a cleared game save).  I thrashed around for half an hour, then finally gave up and looked it up on GameFAQs.  I learned that the solution was both simple and obvious (remember to try all your abilities, kids), and that like most RPGs the FAQs are written by snotty 15 year-olds that can't be bothered to give complete information and pre-emptively complain about questions.


Anyway, the final boss Amalgam was both challenging and kinda fun, and came down to the wire.  I barely pulled off a win before it pulped my surviving characters.  That'll teach me to not bring lots of items and resources to a final boss in an crafting-centric game where items are a major part of the combat system.   I admit that it actually enhanced things somewhat, giving some extra tension and actually making my decisions feel like genuine tactics and gambles instead of "whack for x damage, heal for y when the enemy responds" most turn-based systems devolve into.


The whole thing still feels unreal somehow; I didn't expect it to go as well as it did.  A gaming debt is now paid, a near-failed campaign put to rest successfully.  But where will the Harvest turn next?  Stay tuned.  Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment