Saturday, December 12, 2015

Grinding Has Never Been So Much Fun

Well, since somebody is staring at my stuff...

Yes, I'm still tearing through Disgaea like it's going out of style (not that it was ever in style to begin with.)
  Yes, I'm still having an inexplicable blast doing so.  It's actually fairy disconcerting.  I very literally spent three days worth of gaming time grinding up some items so I can steal a damn horse wiener.

Outside of Disgaea and certain fetish groups, I doubt that's much of a goal that people set.

It's become a cliche, how JRPGs (short for Just Repeated Power Grinding or Japan Roves Proronged Grinding) have gotten us accustomed to the chore of power-leveling and farming drops and such like for decades now.  Semi-hardcore types like myself have been developing techniques to handle the chore just as long.  It's become a joke.  Sometimes its fairly painless, sometimes its pointlessly laborious, sometimes you get a game in the genre that will punish you for ever trying (I'm looking at you Romancing SaGa).  But here's a game that took the idea of stubbornly slogging through levels in the name of the inner muchkin and...

...Made it fun!  It takes all the wild (and vicious) randomness of procedurally generated levels of loot from rougelikes, tossed in a liberal helping of brainiac grid-based tactic gameplay, and then brought in some epic-level wackiness to spice things up.  Why I didn't latch onto this series will be a mystery for the ages.

Well, that's enough gushing for now.  Under the circumstances, expect more rampant fanboyism about this game for good few weeks.  Hopefully I will some have slightly more coherent stuff as well.  Until then, The Harvest will continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment