Friday, September 4, 2015

A Legendary Tale

The Interwebs are not rid of me yet, haHA!

It's been a wild ride in my personal life, but that IRL for you, eh?

In nerdy news, I managed to put Tales of Legendia on my kill list, adding another notch on the RPG belt.  That was definitely a fun time.  Four Stars, Would Smite Again.  Hell, the ending (the actual ending, not the first one) actually got me all teary-eyed.  It's been something like a decade since a game did that to me.

The combat was fun, giving me all the awesomeness of a 2D fighter while letting stats and tactics get a good role as opposed to just reflexes and fighting game skills (I suck at fighting games that aren't Soul Calibur 3), and was just fluid enough to keep me going.  The story has some good twists, the characters were actually memorable (all hail Will Reynard the JRPG Muscle Wizard), the loot was plentiful, and the enemies were a hoot.

Unfortunately, the New Game Plus this game offered really didn't do much for immediate replay value, though I freely grant that later on it will be a fine catalyst for going back and thug-punching bears while Will The Awesome fries them with lightning and honking big hammer.

I was actually pleased that I found a new RPG series without having to sacrifice organs on the black market to get installments (dammit Suikoden) or live with playing less than half the series ever without controller flinging (dammit SaGa).

On a final note, there will not be a Wreckonomics post about Tales of Legendia.  The cash is very plentiful, with the only notable sinks linked to the cooking system.  The only real barrier is that you can only carry 15 of any given item (NG+ has options for 20 or 30 if you so choose), which is a mild inconvenience if you're like me and grab a wad of curatives when you can.  I wound up having to leave full chests behind in dungeons since I had the maximum amount of Panacea Bottles very quickly, and rarely needed them to begin with.

Anyway, off to Tale of the Abyss!

No comments:

Post a Comment