Friday, August 25, 2017

A Nerdy Little Secret

Well, it took some doing, but I managed another RPG double-kill last weekend:  Atelier Iris 2 and Secret of Mana.  Things got so hairy that I actually burned out and haven't even picked up the controller for a good few days.


Now that I've actually played my two favorite games from the Mana and Atelier fanchises, I still strongly suspect that Atelier (or at least the Iris subseries) borrowed a lot of elements from Mana.  I plan to natter about that later, after a bit more research and pondering.  Truth be told, I'm actually still burned out on both games for the moment, which is surprising considering neither claimed my free time and resources quite like the last few--hell, the last dozen--RPGs.


Anyway, I've decided on my next big endevour, and a bit of confession time. 


I've never actually beaten Final Fantasy VI


Way back in the day, I played the hell out of it, but for one reason or another, I never tackled the final dungeon.  Some of it was that I was playing a borrowed copy, so my savefiles tended to go poof.  Other reasons came along, some good, some stupid, and one very bad.  When I was an aspiring nerdling, I asked my friend if I could just beat the final boss on his already completed savefile.  My friend, being a wonderful dude (I was such a spoiled little prick, but he let me play with his SNES and his games anyway, without griping) let me do so, therefore giving me an excuse to say I beat the game.


I honestly think this is the moment that spark some really nerdy commitment issues, the ones where I pick an RPG, play it up to the last dungeon and just stop.  I've managed to get over it, at least for now.  So it comes to this.   It's foolish, it's childish, and it's frightfully nerdy, but it is long past time I've put this game on my finished list one and for all.


The Harvest Has Triumphed Twice Over!  And now it's time for that wonderful little saying:  When life gives you lemons, go murder a clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment