Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Lunar Victory

What can I say?  Lunar Silver Star Story is now on my list of completed campaigns.  It was actually a very fun ride overall.  While it wasn't very long (especially by JRPG standards), clocking in at just over 25 hours with stops for grinding, it still turned out to a very full journey.


The final dungeon had just the right mix of interesting and infuriatingly dangerous, throwing in some of the most lethal mook fights I've encountered from the PS1 era.  Of particular note was the 'curse' section, leaving you with two or more party members out of action at the beginning of every encounter, combined with forced encounters.  It's a healthy reminder of just much of your party's resources can be yanked away with the loss of a character.  The actual final boss just reinforced the lesson, often leaving me with choosing between reviving party members or trying to keep the remainder alive.  This combined with a very nasty AI pattern made for what may well be the most infuriating RPG final boss I've battled in quite a long while.


It added spice to the whole thing, certainly, but Ghaleon mashed me flat a couple of times and threatened to leave me with a failed campaign, and that is not something I wanted to deal with.  Fortunately the dork side came to my aid and I eked out a win.  Protip: swap out status protection for regeneration and straight defensive stat-boosting accessories, and make sure everybody has resurrection and mana heals on tap before plunging in.


Overall, LSSC proved to a very pleasant experience, sometimes irreverent and quirky, sometimes fairy blunt and grim.  It all wound up on the uplifting side of things, and was a worthwhile game.  I still haven't decided on the next game, but for now, The Harvest Has Triumphed.

No comments:

Post a Comment