Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Space Pirates That Don't Do Anything

Well.

I've decided that yes, I needed some kooky space-pirate action after all and broke out Rogue Galaxy.  You know, I thought I was hot stuff; I did kinda just slaughter my way through about every game I've tried out in the last year or so (except for Kingdoms of Amalur due to a really nasty glitch and Grandia due to the gaming equivalent of diabetic shock; don't play that after a 'serious' game whatever you do), including some fairly challenging ones.

I was wrong.  Rogue Galaxy now stands as the first game in a very long time to get the distinction of knocking me right on my ass in the first mini-boss fight.  I had to actually spend some time level grinding just so I could last long enough to hit of the blasted freaks; even then it was a very close battle.  The subsequent boss was easier (but still no joke) and hopefully I've learned this game's measure, but we shall see.

In any case, the game itself is pretty fun, with some nifty concepts in place.  You start off with the protagonist Jaster Rogue, a name humorous on several levels; you have a play on 'just a rogue' plus a well hidden Star Wars reference to 'Jaster Mereel' (I probable misspelled the last name there), a name associated with Boba and Jango Fett, appropriate because Jaster here is mistaken for a big scary bounty hunter.  Then you wind up on a pirate spaceship that's also a ship, with sails and rigging and an anchor, the works.  Screw Bowser, this bad boy prowls the star lanes and takes names like a boss!  Yes, we have a total Treasue Planet thing going on here.

Well, we shall see what comes of this.  There's some other fun things in store, hopefully, so hopefully we shall find a whole new way to bring doom upon the poor mooks.  The Harvest never rests!

No comments:

Post a Comment