Friday, February 20, 2015

Rated E For Elf Stabbing

Blarg to the spambots!

Got my hands on Stick of Truth on the cheap.  I'm not all that much of a South Park fan in general; didn't watch the show very much, but I did watch the movie a lot back in the day.  I still think that cover of "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" on the CD is the shiznit.  Screw "Let It Go."  Anyway, this game is a hoot and a half, with the wonderful bonus of being a great entry-level RPG.

Two thirds of the game is devoted to fighting the elves (arguably just one, but whatever), and while its quite fun, I'm wondering where the hell all this hatred for pointy ears came from.  I'm probably wrong, but this seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon.  Nobody in my little nerdy circle of friends hated elves like this back in the day.  I understand hatred of elf factions like The Elder Scrolls' Thalmor bunch (fuck those guys with a chainsaw) or pretty much every Wood Elf faction ever after Tolkien (which are either grimdark, cannibals, or grimdark cannibals).  Those guys are like a Fifty Shades of Gray/Cupcakes/Captain Planet crossover.  Yes, I know exactly what I said there.

However, even fairly decent portrayals of elves are pretty much fire magnets these days.  What the hell happened?  Personally, I blame Orlando Bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment